|1. After Gilbert disappeared at sea,
who took over the Virginia colonization project?
2. What did
Arthur Barlow report about the
nature of Virginia's land and people after his 1584
||3. List the key components of
Haklyut's argument in his effort to convince Queen Elizabeth
to support Raleigh's plan to go to war with the Spanish in the
|4. How were colonists
participate in Raleigh's mission?
5. How did this choice betray the mission's utopian
6. In addition to plundering Spanish settlements in the
Carribean, what else was
Drake up to as
his armada made its way north?
|7. How do
John White's watercolors,
despite their accurate detail, reflect mistaken assumptions
about the natives? (Drawings)
8. What mistaken impressions did the Indians have
of the English? Why?
9. What went wrong at
10. Why did
the English refuse to farm their own
food during their first year in Roanoke?
11. How did the
||12. What was the situation in Roanoke
when Drake arrived with his passengers freed from Spanish
13. How did the tempest of June13, 1586 finally
doom the expedition?
14. What became of the settlers left behind in 1587?
||15. Substantiate Morgan's insight: "the
Indians did not show the nobility and the English the divininty that was expected of them".