|Shakespeare and Acting
No matter how big or small the part, every actor needs to know the answers to the following questions:
1. What does your character want in this scene?
2. What is your character’s motivation for doing what he or she does?
3. What obstacles stand in his or her way?
4. What happens when your character confronts these obstacles?
5. Are there any distinctive poetic devices being used to shape your
character’s way of speaking? How do these 'stage directions' contribute
to your understanding of the character?
6. What is your character thinking during the scene? (How does he or she react to the other characters and events?)