|1. How did Ben Johnson, Shakespeare's
greatest contemporary rival as a playwright, escape
execution after being convicted of murder?
2. How did
the vogue for ancient Greek poetry and drama help
inspire Shakespeare to write his breakthrough tragedy,
3. Why did Shakespeare's company, the Lord
Chamberlain's Men, have to leave their theatrical home
in Shoreditch (north of the city walls)?
4. What did they take with them when the company
moved to Southwark, (south of the Thames River and just
west of the London Bridge)?
5. Describe the site the company had chosen for their
new theatre. What was the neighborhood like?
6. What was the audience capacity of the new theatre?
7. Which member of Shakespeare's company got fired
just before the Globe opened?
8. What was the inaugural production at the Globe on
June 12, 1599?
9. What was the response of the primary theatrical
competitor in the neighborhood, Philip Henslowe of the
The Rose theatre, to the opening of the Globe?
10. What made the boys company at the Blackfriars
(across the river) such a popular theatrical draw at
11. How was Shakespeare attacked during the "War of
12. How did he respond?
13. Why was Shakespeare's Henry Vth censored in 1598?
14. Why was his company nearly accused of treason in
15. How did the competing companies quickly respond
to the success of Shakespeare's version of Hamlet